The first temporary bridge over the Avon was built by convicts around 1853. The bridge has been rebuilt from time to time and was finally reconstructed in 1988.
According to the National Trust The original swing bridge, built in 1889, at this location was completely rebuilt to a modified design in 1988 due to safety concerns.
While the new bridge remains an interesting element in the York precinct landscape it is not an accurate reconstruction and does not meet the Criteria for the Register of the National Estate in its own right.
The Swing Bridge is included in the Register as part of the `York Historic Town` listing